Tuesday, May 8, 2012

4/29 Notre Dame/Free Day in Paris

We started out our day by going to a mass at Notre Dame. Even though it was all in French, I was still able to get the gist of what was going on. Although I couldn't understand what they were saying it was still an incredible experience to be involved in a mass at Notre Dame. After that we started off
our free time by heading up to Montmartre and the Sacre-Coeur. It was one of my favorite places we went to that day. The town of Montmartre is wonderful. It is everything you would imagine Paris to be. There are little shops and markets everywhere, food vendors in the center, and all these amazing street artists. It was nice to see that side of Paris, the less touristy side and more what it would be like as if you were living in Paris. I just think that Montmartre is a wondeful little gem of an area that everybody needs to experience. It gives you a whole different outlook on Paris. I just wish we had timed it out better so we could have stayed and explored there longer. We then proceeded toclimbed all the steps up to the Sacre-Coeur, which is this beautiful white church that has a wonderful view of Paris. After that we headed over to the Musee d'Orsay, which has one of the largest  collections of Impressionist works. This was by far my favorite thing I did in Paris. I was fortunate enough to go to the museum last year when I was in Paris, but the building was being renovated so they didn't have all their pieces out. This year the whole 2nd floor was dedicated to impressionist and post impressionist work. They had so many Monets which were just beautiful to look at and I saw some Degas that I had never seen before. I love Degas' work of the ballet dancers and was suprised to find out that he also did sculptures. They had a good number of Van Gogh's too but the best part
was when I walked in one of the room's and saw Renoir's Moulin de la Galette. It is my favorite piece of work of his and to be so close that I could almost touch it was amazing. I think the piece is
absolutely beautiful and I love how he plays with the light in the painting. I could have stayed and stared at paintings in that museum for hours. After that we wandered up and down the Champs Elysses and climbed to the top of the Arc de Triomphe. That was also another beautiful view of the city and we were fortunate enough to be there right around sunset. When we came down from the Arc, they had just lit the Memorial Flame, which if I remember correctly, the Memorial
Flame was established shortly after they made a tomb for the Unknown Solider. Every night at six thirty, someone lights the memorial flame to  pay tribute to the Great Dead. It was quite an experience to be there at that time. Afterwards we grabbed some delicious dinner and
for dessert we had nutella crepes with strawberries! It was an amazing day where we got to explore so much and experience so much culture too, that I could not have asked for a better day in Paris.
 
Hollyann

No comments:

Post a Comment